KIRR Eats: Italian Bolognese with a twist!•
Posted on June 29 2020
Plant Based Bolognese
Italian Bolognese with a twist - using plant based Beef Crumbles. A dish that is not only delicious but also good for the planet!
- 250g Lentil & Brown Rice Fusilli (or any pasta of your choice)
- 340g Beyond Beef Crumbles
- 1 large celery rib
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 400g Demeter Organic Italian Passata Rustica
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Splash of plant based milk
- Splash of white wine
- Dice celery, carrots and onion into small pieces
- Saute veggies and continue to cook for 10 more minutes until they are translucent and soft.
- Turn heat to medium and add the Beef Crumbles to the pot. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat into small pieces. After the beef has browned and cooked through add a splash of white wine and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to dislodge all the flavor bits.
- To sauce the pasta add a few ladles of the bolognese sauce to a pan over medium-low heat, then add in the 'al dente' pasta and cook for 1-2 minutes so that the pasta can absorb the sauce. Enjoy!
- If the sauce is not thick enough continue to cook for another 20-30 minutes before saucing the pasta. Prior to saucing, taste test and adjust salt and pepper if required.
- After 40mins, stir to combine then add the plant based milk and optional cream. Stir and cook at a simmer for 15-30 minutes more.
- Every 20 minutes or so check that the sauce is not drying out and sticking to the bottom of the pot. If so, add in a half to 1 cup of water and stir to combine.
- Cook the wine out for 10 minutes, then add in the pasta sauce. Stir it all together, turn heat to low, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and let cook for a mininum of 40mins.
KIRRLiving: Why Urb...
Do you notice any idle space around you? You might not have noticed but think of the rooftop of the building you work at and the podium of the bloc...Read More
KIRREats: Enoki Mus...
Growing up in a Shanghainese household, we often have cold dishes at most of our meals. Especially during Chinese New Year, my mom would make at le...Read More
KIRRLiving: Vegan P...
The popularity for Veganism has exploded in recent years with google searches for vegan products increased by 7-fold between 2014-2019. “Vegan leat...Read More