KIRR Eats: Italian Bolognese with a twist!
Plant Based Bolognese
Italian Bolognese with a twist - using plant based Beef Crumbles. A dish that is not only delicious but also good for the planet!
- 250g Lentil & Brown Rice Fusilli (or any pasta of your choice)
- 340g Beyond Beef Crumbles
- 1 large celery rib
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 400g Demeter Organic Italian Passata Rustica
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Splash of plant based milk
- Splash of white wine
- Dice celery, carrots and onion into small pieces
- Saute veggies and continue to cook for 10 more minutes until they are translucent and soft.
- Turn heat to medium and add the Beef Crumbles to the pot. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat into small pieces. After the beef has browned and cooked through add a splash of white wine and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to dislodge all the flavor bits.
- To sauce the pasta add a few ladles of the bolognese sauce to a pan over medium-low heat, then add in the 'al dente' pasta and cook for 1-2 minutes so that the pasta can absorb the sauce. Enjoy!
- If the sauce is not thick enough continue to cook for another 20-30 minutes before saucing the pasta. Prior to saucing, taste test and adjust salt and pepper if required.
- After 40mins, stir to combine then add the plant based milk and optional cream. Stir and cook at a simmer for 15-30 minutes more.
- Every 20 minutes or so check that the sauce is not drying out and sticking to the bottom of the pot. If so, add in a half to 1 cup of water and stir to combine.
- Cook the wine out for 10 minutes, then add in the pasta sauce. Stir it all together, turn heat to low, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and let cook for a mininum of 40mins.
Freezing - Bolognese sauce can be frozen for up to 6 months and just needs to thawed and reheated on the stove-top.
Overnight Tip - Cooking the sauce the day before adds a tremendous amount of flavor upon reheating the next day.